Award winners to be recognized on July 26 during the 2017 Junior Olympics
Barbara Kalbus & The Olympic Club To Be Recognized At Upcoming International Swimming Hall Of Fame Events
The late Dr. Kalbus to receive Paragon Award
Kalbus' impact felt across the globe in the sport of water polo
USA Water Polo Inducts Three Into Hall Of Fame; Celebrates National Award Winners & Retired Olympians
Water polo community gathers in Costa Mesa to honor greats of the game
USA Water Polo Announces Annual Award Winners; Honorees To Be Recognized At 2015 Hall Of Fame Induction & National Awards Dinner On May 30
Event set for Costa Mesa Hilton this May 30; Tickets on-sale now!
Club: Long Beach Aquatic Club, Phillips 66
College: University of Wisconsin B.A. 1949-53, PhD 1953-57
High School: Lincoln H.S. Manitowoc, Wisconsin
- AAU 1966-1976 Served in various offices in Long Beach Aquatic Club & Phillips 66 Long Beach Aquatic Club, including president. Managed age group water polo teams for these clubs as well as various aspects of the swimming program.
- AAU 1969-1976 Southern Pacific AAU Swimming Comm., in charge of time standards.
- AAU 1974-93 Various offices in So. Pacific W/P including Age Group Chairman, SPA Chairman & Registration Chairman. On the Southern Pacific Board from 1975-88. While registration chairman personally registered most of SPA athletes and set up system for recording athlete registration; assisted with incorporation of SPA as a non-profit corp.; held numerous clinics for teaching people to run the desk.
- AAU-USWP 1976-1980 Secretary of USWP Inc. Set up first bylaws of USWP as it separated from the AAU.
- USWP 1978-84 Chairman of Registration Comm. for USWP. Set up first national registration system for Water Polo
- USWP 1978-93 Member Men's International/Olympic Committee.
- USWP 1985-91 Chairman, USWP Foundation and trustee. First chairman of the Foundation. This foundation administers and invests the $1,300,000 given to USWP from the 1984 Olympic Games profits. Handled development and revision of Foundation bylaws, budget, grant requests.
- USWP 1989-92 Secretary Men's International/Olympic Comm.
- Handled all correspondence for athletes and teams.
- USWP 1990-92 Assistant Manager, Senior Men's National Team
- Developed budget for National Team, monitored it during year.
- Handled all USOC athlete grant requests, Athlete Level I & II Grant Requests
- Handled USOC Job Opportunities program
- Wrote successful requests for funding for PEAK grants for 1991-92 for Olympic Team
- Prepared all workout schedules, made pool arrangements, attended most workouts
- Assistant Manager, Senior Men's National Team
- Handled all athlete insurance claims
- Assisted manager with duties
- Made arrangements for all foreign team visits to United States invitations, hotel, car rentals, workout schedules, hospitality game arrangements (schedule, pool rental, ticket sales, publicity) handled financial arrangements for their visit.
- Made arrangements for all trips of US team to foreign countries telexes, airplane reservations, training tournaments
- Prepared all statistical studies of National team performance, typed and made drawing for all scouting reports, play books
- Attended 1991 World Championships with team, assembling all scouting reports, making all travel & housing arrangements for team
- Manager for 1991 FINA Cup team and 1992 Greece-France trip
- USWP 1990-02 Member USWP Finance Committee
- USWP 1993 Tournament Director 1993 Senior Men's National Outdoors as well as many other tournaments
- USWP 1993 Represented SPA at USWP Constitutional Convention
- USWP 1980-84 President, USWP Inc. in charge of W/P program for both men and women for the United States. Headed marketing development, and competition. Setup registration and insurance systems. Set up directions for district organization.
- USWP 1985-88 Chairman Men's International/Olympic Comm. for the United States WP Inc. in charge of Men's National W/P program in the US (Senior A, Senior B, Junior, and Youth Teams) including international competition, publicity and preparation for Olympic Games. Headed fundraising program for National Team. Successfully wrote grant request to USOC for funding national teams. Coordinated visit of each foreign team to the US, organizing competition schedule, housing, and transportation, etc. Handled budget for National Team
- USWP 1987 Manager at FINA Cup
- USWP 1987 In charge of desk at the Pan Am games in Indianapolis
- USOC 1980-88 Member House of Delegates of the USOC representing USWP. Member of the data coordination comm.
- US Olympic Team 1988 made all arrangements for Olympic housing & tickets and Seagram Family program for Olympic parents and wives; set up training and travel arrangements for team on the way to the Olympics
- 1976-Present worked with NCAA W/P Rules Comm. Attended yearly meetings of NCAA Rules Comm. Worked with editor of Water Polo Rules Book to insure rule book is edited correctly prepared rules revisions, proof. Worked with NCAA & USWP to assist NCAA retention of Water Polo. Organized and ran desk at approximately last 10 NCAA Water Polo Championships. Prepared a mast schedule of NCAA water polo each fall. Prepared and distributed statistics of team comparative standings each week during fall season
- Vice President, Administration Services, Long Beach City College
- Three Children