Getting Started - Membership Requirements
In order to be a registered and certified USA Water Polo referee there are five (5) steps that must be completed. Upon registration, memberships will remain "Ineligible" until all requirements have been met and member will not be able to participate until account is "Current."
Register/Renew your membership with USA Water Polo. You will need to select the "Referee", "Coach/Referee", or "Rookie Referee" option from the menu. Renewal is required each calendar year. If you already have a membership (athlete, coach, etc.) you can login to your account to renew or upgrade.
All referees must take the USOC online SafeSport course, required every two (2) years.
Referees must have a current background screening on file with the National Office. Background screenings cost $20 and are required every 2 years.
Referees shall successfully complete concussion and head injury education at least once, either in person or online. Accepted courses include, but are not limited to the CDC or NFHS HEADS UP Concussion Online Training Course.
Take and pass the rules test. The test can be found in your USAWP profile page once you've registered. Log into your account and click on the "Referee Hub" drop-down on the upper left side of your profile homepage. First, click on "referee rules sign-up" to register for the exam. Then click on "take online exam". All referees must take and pass a rules test yearly in order to remain certified.
Referees New to USAWP - After completing steps above:
- You will need to register with the Arbitersports for assignments to any and all USA Water Polo Sanctioned Events. This is the web site assigners and referees use to assign and view the games you will be officiating. Access to the Arbiter Site is FREE. Please click on the link below to register for the Arbiter Site and contact your Zone head Referee with any questions: https://www1.arbitersports.com/front/105053/Registration/USAWPR-2018
- Contact your Zone Head Referee to complete the required practical component and/or observation. ZHR Contact info can be found at Contacts and Resources page with all Referee Information.
- Once you complete your "on deck" observation you are certified as a "Level 1" referee and subject to the assignment criteria and limits set forth by your Zone.
- For questions and further detail regarding USA Water Polo Referee Certification Criteria and Training visit www.usawaterpolo.org or consult your Zone Head Referee.
Returning Referees - After completing steps above:
- Register with USA Water Polo as a "Referee" or "Referee/Coach" Member for the current calendar year.
- Attend and successfully complete a USAWP Referee School. NOTE: The "In Person" Schools will be offered in conjunction with USAWP and ODP events throughout the country and are required for Certification of ALL Referees every two years. A schedule of USAWP Referee Schools are posted on the www.usawaterpolo.org website.
- Take and pass the rules test yearly. Log into your account and click on the "Referee Hub" drop-down on the upper left side of your profile homepage. First, click on "referee rules sign-up" to register for the exam. Then click on "take online exam". All referees must take and pass a rules test yearly in order to remain certified.